Outline Worksheet for Informative Speech 2
Title: The Sabbath-Divine Rest for Human Stress
Speaker: Mark L. Lastimoso
Specific Purpose: To inform and explain succinctly the meaning and purpose of the Sabbath
Thesis Statement: The keeping of the Bible Sabbath once a week, in obedience to Christ command, can provide rest, restoration, and recreation to all who believe in Him.
I Attention Getter: “Some stress maybe healthy, too much is dangerous, in some cases, even fatal…”
II Establishment of Ethos: “The Sabbath was made for man…”
III Thematic Sentence: The Sabbath reminds us of God the Creator, The Saviour, and our Hope.
First: Definition of the Sabbath
Second: Purpose of the Sabbath
Finally: Meaning of the Sabbath
Transition: The Sabbath is rooted in the Holy Scriptures …
- Main Idea 1. The Sabbath in the Old Testament (a. Genesis 2:1-3, b. Exodus 20:8-11, c. Isaiah 66:22-23) Internal summary: The Sabbath was kept in the OT
- Main Idea 2: The Sabbath in the New Testament (a. Luke 4;16, b. Luke 23:56, c. Acts 13:42-44) Internal Summary: The Sabbath is kept in the NT
- Main Idea 3. The Meaning of the Sabbath (a. Rest, b. Restoration, c. Recreation) Internal Summary: The Sabbath will be kept in the New heaven and a new earth.
Transition to conclusion: My testimony: My journey with God reminds me that in a world of chaos, Christ offers peace through His Sabbath rest.
- Summarize and restate the thesis: Jesus made us and He knows what is best for us. He will give us rest, restoration, and recreation when we obey and believe His Word.
- Review each main point: In the Holy Scriptures, God showed His people the benefit of keeping the Sabbath both in the OT and the NT and beyond.
- Tie to the introduction: Thus, God is telling us to stop and rest awhile, to take a pause from our worldly care and receive His peace and to connect with Him fully in this world of restlessness.
- Provide memorable conclusion and end with impact: My brief story: My mother was a faithful Christian lady. Before she died at the age of 37, she reminded me to obey God and to be faithful to the Lord’s commands. I reflected and studied the Bible and was convinced that the Scriptures taught the Sabbath. I then kept it with all my heart till I was ordained to be a minister of the SDA Church.